1. Welcome to PhoGro! Please login or create an account to participate in the conversations.
  2. Please take a moment and take this short seven question survey. The results will help me make PhoGro's future Premium Membership the best it can be. Take the Survey here!

6 Reasons Why Your Kit Lens Is Better Than You Think

Discussion in 'PhoGro's Blog' started by John Davenport, Jan 24, 2017.

1. I used my kit lenses for quite some time before buying a F1.8 35mm and a 8mm fisheye lens for special purpose shots. I have been very pleased with my Sony basic camera with kit lenses but would have liked an 18 to 105 mm lens instead of the 14 to 42 mm as it tends to make me want to change lenses a lot more. It would be great for portrait work.

2. Oh yeah, I do have memories of my 18-55 kit that came with the Nikon D3100. It was definitely more limiting on the telephoto side and did feel like I was losing out on some close up potential, but it's definitely still a usable lens while learning photography. I guess the point of this article isn't that the kit lens should be your only lens, but rather, that you should learn to take great photographs with your kit lens before investing in new glass because the new glass isn't what's going to teach you to take better photographs.

3. So true John. My other kit lens is a 55 to 210mm lens. when in New Zealand we bought Lynne's Olympus OMD-EM10 which only came with a short kit lens and took some reasonable photos with just that. We bought that because I had left my then new Sony in Australia accidentally.

4. The crop factor on the Sony A6000 is 1.5. If my calculation is correct, an 18-105mm lens is equivalent to 21-95mm full frame lens.

5. Don, unless I've misunderstood your explanation I think you have got things the wrong way round. Plus a lens will never get longer at the short end while, at the same time, getting shorter at the long end regardless of crop factor!
    An 18-105 mm lens on the A6000 would give the same field of view as a 27-157.5mm lens on full frame. On a camera with a four thirds sensor and a crop factor of 2 it would be 36-210mm.
    Then there's the matter of equivalent f-stop values, DOF and perspective, all explained
    here https://photographylife.com/sensor-size-perspective-and-depth-of-field
    Personally I don't bother about any of the theory, I just zoom until I like what I see then shoot, whether it's with the A6000 or the 5D mk3!

#6 Keith, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  6. Wow, Keith, I can hardly believe I typed what I did - I really screwed up my numbers:(. I meant to indicate that Ron's 14-42mm lens is equivalent to a 21-63mm full frame lens. Have I got that correct? Like you, I don't spend time calculating any of this (you can see why) I just stick on the lens I thin is most appropriate in my bag to get the shots I want.​

7. Spot on Don!

8. Nice blog John. As a novice photographer I find my lenses for my Olympus camera very good and do the job that I want them to do. With the filters and soft ware I am able to put different effects in my images. You can have the best wiz bangs available but it is the person behind the camera is what matters. It is how one uses their camera isn't it?

John Davenport and René like this.
  9. 6 months ago (it seems a lot longer) I bought my first DSLR camera, a nearly new used D5300. I opted not to buy it with the standard 18mm-55mm kit lens as I already had a Nikon 18-70 non-VR on "permanent loan", which a few weeks later I supplemented with a 70-300. This turned out to be a great lens, but as landscape is one of my main interests, I discovered fairly quickly that most of my shots needed something falling in the range 20mm(ish)-100mm(ish). So just recently I have bought a used Nikon 18-105 from my local camera shop. This is the standard kit lens supplied with the D7000 series, as described by JD in his blog. As a comparative novice this lens seems ideal for my purposes and is now rarely off my camera. So until such time as a) I actually get good at photography, and b) have saved up a lot more shekels, this is the combination I will stick with.
    (Of course being a man and a retired engineer, I will undoubtedly be fighting off repeated GAS attacks.:D)

10. Yeah the 18-105 that comes with the 7000 series is a fantastic "kit" lens. Probably one of the best ones Nikon has made for the money. It's super versatile and relatively light making it easy to use as an everyday lens.