1. Welcome to PhoGro! Please login or create an account to participate in the conversations.
  2. Love PhoGro? Want to support it and get some perks at the same time? Become a Premium Member today!
  3. Your photography challenge for the month of July is a scavenger hunt of sorts find letters or words in your world. Enjoy!

Photo Share A few from Turkey

Discussion in 'Share Your Shots' started by mgvh, Jan 11, 2017.

1. I'm leading a tour group here in Turkey and Greece, and I've taken over 1000 pics so far just in Turkey. Here are some of my favs.
    • The one with the columns is from ancient Laodicea. It's the palaestra of the Roman gymnasium at the northeast corner of the intersection of the cardo and decumanus. It was threatening rain/snow to the northeast but the setting sun came out, and I was fortunate to catch the light just right.
    • The snowy mound is one of the Lydian Tumulus (=cemetry mound) from the 6th/5th century BCE near Saris, Turkey. I'm not quite sure why, but this pic just feels right to me.
    • The other three are from the Blue Mosque in Istanbul. Two of them are with my fisheye lens which I brought along specifically with the mosque in mind. They do give a bit better sense of the immense space in there.

Attached Files:

René likes this.
  2. Thanks for these, Mark. I've toured Turkey and Istanbul twice. Unfortunately, I was not into photography at that time, so only have a few tourist snaps (somewhere). We loved the ancient ruins of biblical sites. It has made relating to bible passages more meaningful. The Blue Mosque is an incredible structure with a very interesting history. Your fisheye lens has made possible what I could not do. It's so frustrating trying to capture the immensity of a space with normal lens. TFS

mgvh likes this.
  3. Great shots Marc. The Blue mosque is decidedly yellow on the inside. The fisheye was a good move. I love the second shot but can't help but wonder who the photographer is that stuck his shadow in there.

mgvh likes this.
  4. OMG!!!! Wow! Fabulous shots of places I will never visit. (Didn't notice that "shooter shadow" until John pointed it out but it's small so you can probably clone that out or something.) I especially like the low level perspective of the columns which really shows them off to advantage.

mgvh likes this.
  5. Ha! I knew my shadow was there when I took it, but I had nowhere else to stand. Sometimes I intentionally include my shadow if it isn't too distinctive as a way of including myself in the picture, kind of my signature. I'm not on my home computer, so this was a quick share. For this one, I was thinking maybe just to clone out my head a bit and it should look okay. Thanks!

SchrodingersAlley likes this.
  6. How nice to see places I'll never be able to visit, TFS Mark.
    I've never been a fan of fishyeye lenses, but your Blue mosque shots have won me over. Sharp shots with great perspective.
    My favourite shots are the columns and the snowy burial mound. Great composition, lines and nearly minimalistic in it's simplicity. These are the kind of images I would love to have shot.

#6 René, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    mgvh likes this.
  7. Stunning shots. TFS

mgvh likes this.
  8. So happy to travel with you ;-)) thanks for these. Your snowy burial mound shot is just my cup of tea - I get quiet just looking at it. TFS them.

mgvh likes this.
  9. Thanks, René. The fisheye really does work in places either where there are no particularly straight lines (landscape works if you keep the horizontal or vertical you want straight centered) or places where there are lots of curved lines. I have a UWA rectilinear w/ me for some architectural shots, but the fisheye I'm using is a lot of fun and has more creative possibilities.
    The column shot was partly luck being at the right place at the right time with the sun and then just finding the right lines.
    I'm trying to figure out why I like the burial mound shot. The minimalism as you mention? There's kind of an S-line to the picture. I've really done very little processing to it. Just added a bit of clarity and sharpening and cropped to where it felt right.
    In any case, thanks for your comments!

10. Mark, great shots all of them. Isn't it a great feeling when you can be there at the right time and all the lighting is spot on. Have not used my fisheye a lot yet but will do soon.