1. Welcome to PhoGro! Please login or create an account to participate in the conversations.
  2. Love PhoGro? Want to support it and get some perks at the same time? Become a premium member today find out more here.
  3. April showers... bring May flowers and thus your challenge for the month of May is to photograph flowers. Enjoy!

Photo Share Catho

Discussion in 'Share Your Shots' started by John S, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Did an early morning shoot at Catherine Hill Bay, about 45 minutes from home, today.
    I think these are some of the better ones.
    The jetty is a disused coal loading facility and one of the most photographed areas around.
    The Mini Arch is about 18 inches high so the camera was just above the sand.

Attached Files:

2. Nice lighting first and second shots, all of them great shots John well done. TFS

3. John all very nice images I like the second one with the cave and the sun rise number one a very lovely series T.F.S.

4. I like both "sun's up" & "mini arch" a lot; great composition, lighting & colours. This is the kind of shots I love- stripped to the essential. "Rays" & "ghost ship" are nice studies in blue. TFS, John.

5. It's easy to see why this is a good place to shoot! You got a lot of really nice images John. I like Sun's up and Rays especially. Mini Arch is lovely - the light and waves. Did you get wet?

6. No Suz. The "arch" is about 18 inches high and maybe a yard across. I had to hold the camera well below me, on live view, to take the shot. I was standing on rocks at the back of the arch. Next time there I will take a shot of the whole thing to put it in perspective.

7. Looking forward to it.

8. Love the mini arch and rocky coast though the others are also nice.

9. I said I'd post a full view of the mini arch. Here it is with my camera bag on top for size.

Attached Files:

10. A couple more from today's outing. Fish in a rock pool was a bit of an experiment that turned out reasonably well. From the north was taken from about 1km away at the far end of the beach at 500mm and has resulted in a view if the jetty seldom seen, and the same shot at 200mm.

Attached Files:

#10 John S, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  11. Sure is a mini arch, John. Kudus on the originl mini arch shot, couldn't have been easy to do. I like the fish in the pond & the closer-up view of the jetty. TFS.

12. Seeing the size of that mini arch gives me an considerable respect for your perseverance. You certainly used it to best advantage.

13. I like all three of these. I hope to see you experimenting with more fish in the pond. Those are pretty fish and if the water is that clear is there any chance of a closer view? I also like both views of the jetty. Perhaps we can see more of that too another time. Good subjects lend themselves to multiple views.

14. When the early explorers headed up the coast they had no trouble finding coal. This seam at Catho is replicated northward along the coast. The coal is still there for all to see and some kind soul has enhanced the seam with a bit of art work.

Attached Files:

15. A marvel of nature; you can actually see what seems to be the logs? The graffiti is also attractive, for whatever reason.

16. No, not logs. Just layer upon layer of decaying plants from the carboniferous era, 300 million years ago.

17. Very nice shots John and a great place to take pictures.
    TFS.

18. Geraldine I was thinking the same as you before I saw your comment. An excellent series of images from this post John.

19. Thank you all. I'm just happy you thought them worth while. Given it's about 30 minutes from home I'll certainly be back from time to time.