1. Welcome to PhoGro! Please login or create an account to participate in the conversations.
  2. Love PhoGro? Want to support it and get some perks at the same time? Become a premium member today find out more here.
  3. Your challenge theme for the month of April is "Food Photography". Share your photos here!

Color theory - Dave Morrow

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Suz, Jan 11, 2017.

1. There's been a lot of discussion about color and I came across some great information yesterday.
    I don't know if anyone else follows Dave Morrow but he has a wealth of info on landscape photography and night photography. Most of his content is free, well thought out and helpful. His latest is on color theory and though I'm not a PS user yet I found a lot of solid information that I think will be very helpful in post processing and more. You need to join his news letter and then go to Latest Videos to access the color theory video and free PDF. He uses Albert Bierstadt's paintings to explain the color theory which made it quite interesting. www.davemorrowphotography.com

2. Thanks for this, Suz. This opens up one of my fears in post-processing - the complexity of Photoshop. I am very comfortable with Lightroom, but only superficially knowledgeable about PS. It is a shortcoming that I hope to address this year.

3. I also got this link but have yet to go into the void that is colour but initial view was interesting.

4. TFS, Suz. This year I must concentrate on PP (in which I'm far behind) and therefore master Affinity Photo and get to know LR better. Sigh.:eek:

5. The PDF will be good for reference without having to do the 40 min. video again. Very comprehensive indeed.
    Are there any night shooters out there? I got bitten by the Milky Way bug this past summer and fall. To process those photos well I am going to have to learn PS soon.... This color information will be quite helpful I think.

6. Hi Suz I have tried a little star shooting but this looks to be very interesting to look at. Trouble is there aren't enough hours in the day to do all I want to do so will have to learn to prioritize better

7. Isn't that the truth Ron!

8. In other words, so much to learn and do, so little time to do it - particularly for us older blokes. ;):(:mad::confused:

9. Especially when it takes us longer to learn Don than the younger ones.

10. Don't worry about it Don! To be able to use PS doesn't depend on knowing colour theory any more than LR does. I've never studied the theory but I can find my way round a fair amount of PS. Whether my photos would be improved if I had learned and applied colour theory is an entirely different matter!