1. Welcome to PhoGro! Please login or create an account to participate in the conversations.
  2. Love PhoGro? Want to support it and get some perks at the same time? Become a Premium Member today!
  3. Your monthly challenge for October is Multiple Perspectives. Enjoy!

Community Edit Island bay

Discussion in 'Community Editing' started by Crixxtachi, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Hey guys
    Sharing this shot for a bit of help/advice

I've noticed a few of my photos have this particular defect and would like some advice on how to stop it from happening and how to correct it in photos I have already taken, preferably in lightroom or photoshop if not possible in light room.

In the sky at the top left. don't know what its called but its a problem.

Attached Files:

2. Hi Crix. To me there seems to be a line between light and dark. Is that what you are referring to?

3. Hi Crix.
    Is it possible you are using a polarising filter on that lens? If so this will cause portions of the sky to take on a different colour. The smaller the lens the more pronounced the effect.

4. Hey guys, no Im not using a filter and no it isnt the light and dark im referring to.
    You may need to zoom in a bit on the top to middle left side to see it at first, but once you do see it, its very obvious.

5. Crix, the only thing I can see is a couple of stripes running down the top left almost like cloning marks. I suggest you post an enlarged section of your shot and give us a wee bit more detail re what we're looking for. At the moment it's a bit like 20 questions and we're running out of ideas.

Lynne likes this.
  6. Might be usedul to tell us what the problem is so people may be able to help?

7. You must have great eyesight; I can't see anything like that

8. John You are right. It is very hard to see but that was my impression when I first saw it.

9. What camera are you using? Looks like it could be smearing on the sensor after 'cleaning'.
    Best way to tell if that is the case is....

1. Set your camera on Aperture Priority Mode.
    2. Set your metering mode to Matrix/Evaluative Metering.
    3. Set your camera ISO to the lowest number such as ISO 100 or 200.
    4. Turn off Auto ISO.
    5. Turn off autofocus and set your lens on manual focus.
    6. Set your aperture to the largest number available for your lens by rotating the camera dial. For example, the minimum aperture on the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G is f/16, so if I were shooting with this lens, I would set my aperture to f/16.
    7. If you are outside, point your camera up at the clear blue sky and take a picture. If you are indoors, find plain white paper, zoom in all the way so that the paper fits the whole frame, then make sure that the lens is completely out of focus and take a picture. If you are in front of a computer, open up a text editor such as Notepad, maximize it to the screen and then get as close to the monitor as possible so that only the white color is visible in the frame. Make sure that your focus is way off (completely out of focus) – that way only dust particles or smears will be visible.
    8. Zoom in on the image (rear camera LCD), scroll from left to right and top to bottom all over the image and see if you can find any dark spots or smears.
    9. If you cannot see any, your sensor is clean. If you see dark spots or smearing, then your sensor has dust on it or has been 'cleaned' but smears left on it.

Lynne likes this.